Created October 2011
- Another busy year
- We did another talk for the Taste Good Food Group
- In December 2010, we were given a grant from Bedford ward councillors to extend the Kempston bat building project into Bedford . The bat group undertook to buy the materials for the kits and to prepare the box kits.
- In March we got an additional grant from Kempston ward councillors to build more boxes there in October.
- The grants also gave us money to produce an education pack for the schools we worked with. This included a CD of materials.
- Michelle Viola of Goldington Lower School prepared some lesson plans for us to give out with the pack . These are to be used in the Count Bat Resources pack . being produced at the end of the Count Bat Project. You can download them here 2011 Lesson Plans To Follow On From The Making Bat Boxes Workshop
In March we worked in five schools in Bedford. The bat group at whole school assemblies and then the Street and Park Rangers built the boxes with selected groups of youngsters.
- The Viking Kayak Club was one of the groups which helped with bats and boats in 2010. They volunteered to run all the Bats and Boats events without charge. In return the Bat Group will do a series of talks for their members.
- The Viking Canoe club has also agreed to help us with an ongoing survey along the River Ivel. In 2011 we did three of these and have three more events planned for 2012
Photo Bob Cornes
We used some of the Bedford Grant to have badges made for people who went on the Bats and Boats or the Canoe surveys events
We were given permission to survey any of the woodland owned and managed by Bedford Borough Council. This season we surveyed several sites, one of which had barbastelles in them
In autumn we did two more bat box building sessions at Robert Bruce Middle School and Kempston lower school .
We did a talk for Priory Lower School
We also gave a well received talk at Bedford Library
- We wrote a case study of our work for the Count Bat Project for the Bat CPnservatopn Trust’s Bats for All Project www.bats.org.uk/publications…/D.2.b_Queens_Park_Case_Study.pdf
- BC made a short video about w0rking with black and ethnic minority communities which featrues our work in Queens Park
We have money over for other Bedford based initiatives. Watch this space.